Pages

12 June 2008

because i'm feeling superficial

Straying from the straight and narrow of academia, and into more fun and frivolous territory, I present to you this week's top beauty picks.

Sebastian 2 + 1 Conditioning Treatment is a worthwhile investment. It was recommended to me by the best stylist I've ever met (who I can no longer afford to visit) as the best at-home conditioner on the market. This stuff does not come cheap. At a beauty supply store it was over $20, but if you consider that it gives you multiple treatments, and salon quality results at home (and that a salon deep conditioning treatment costs upwards of 30 bucks a pop), I feel that it is worth it. The name stands for 2 parts moisture, 1 part protein—a ratio that fortifies your hair without leaving it slicked down. A deep conditioner is great during the summer, when your locks can quickly get dried out by the sun. This one really does the trick, even on my hack job of a highlighted head.

After searching long and hard for a face wash that would cleanse and moisturize my skin, I have finally found my ideal product. This bar costs about 8 dollars, which seems pricey for a bar of soap, but very cheap for a face wash. Happily, it is the latter, and therefore a great deal. It cleanses very gently, while managing to remove makeup, and leaves my skin feeling soothed to the point where I don't have to use moisturizer. This is the best product I have found in a long time.

I haven't yet tried these next two products, but if I had disposable income, they would be first on my list. PosieTint is the lite version of Benefit's Benetint, which I use daily as a lip and cheek stain. This colour looks adorable and I would love to try it out. I'm banking on it having the same staying power and a-little-goes-a-long-way quality as Benetint.

Apparently, neons and primary colours will soon be on their way out for makeup (to be replaced by pastels, ick), so I say enjoy this trend while it lasts. Used individually, the colours in this palette (especially when paired with a swipe of black liquid liner) would create a fantastic graphic look. However, one of the coolest things a makeup artist taught me about colour application is that any colour can be made to look natural, when used in moderation, or in conjunction with other colours. For example, that vivid red could be paired with a cream or sage green shadow to create a much more muted look.

1 comment:

Kate said...

I also really want posie tint! I love their moonbeam- so great for highlighting. But alas I must also try to curb my cosmetic consumption. But Chanel and other brands are launching some cool golds for fall so save up!