Pages

25 July 2005

bad apples and good maple leaves

Oh Canadian men...my friends, my elders, my peers...

How could I ever have taken you for granted? The amount of annoyance I have been dealing with lately has made even Jim Bob's goers and salmon shirt wearers seem like heavenly angels from above. I am incredibly frustrated with the lack of respect that I have been shown by Tanzanian men. More so, I am sad for the women here who endure much more than the cat calls, stares and unwelcome comments I deal with. It's enough to make a person want to stay inside and avoid the streets.

But I won't back down or stay in the apartment because of some idiotic behaviour. I need to learn some Swahili swear words, that's all.

So yes, back to Canadian men...while some can still be abrasive in the bar circuit, at least they refrain from yelling and harassing in broad daylight when I'm trying to buy eggs.

This is not all men here in Mwanza. I've met many distinguished individuals who respect and honour women, many of whom are working hard to advocate for women's rights. I suppose the worst guys just tend to be the most vocal.

So thank you, all my male friends, family members, and most of all, my incredible boyfriend, for setting a standard to which I will always compare the conduct and customs of other cultures. I miss you and look forward to returning to your company.

* * *

To quickly change subjects, I will be going to the Serengeti for the weekend. What wonders await? I am so excited and just a little afraid, as I will be camping in a tent...in the centre of the park...which is home to many ferocious beasts. It should be great though

3 comments:

Question Mark said...

On behalf of all Canadian men, merci. Ha, take that, Africa! Cradle of civilization can't even act civilized.....for shame!

Robbie said...

Serengeti?! so cool... I drove through Owen Sound today and I remembered that you now live in that place in the middle of nowhere...
good times...

mr. tomas ubik said...

quiet hoochie momma, now come over her e and rotate those tires...


i dont know what that means...i think it translates into dallas is a glorious creature deserving of multiple names.


i like ashl......oh u thought id say it but i shall finish with ashlanta...the future name of my soon to be african harrased daughter.