Pages

19 October 2005

two shining lights

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

'twas a full moon night...

I've spoken of The Danforth Music hall before and I still love that place. Catching music there makes me feel like I've slipped back many decades in time to an era more simple, more glamourous, more...

Ah, it's east Toronto in 2005, I know. But you would like it too. I spotted the words "holistic", "organic" and "rejuventated" on lots of coffeeshop cork board posters around the neighbourhood, and I get the feeling that the Danforth has a lot to offer on top of Greek delicacies.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Anyways, I didn't go to analyse the city culture. I went to see one of the most incredible, "organic" and talented vocalists in the world right now. In the WORLD.

I want to be Leslie Feist. Who wouldn't? She can cause an entire auditorium of fans to sit quietly in their seats and lean in to listen to her. The whisperless atmosphere was broken only when Feist insisted that the crowd do back-up vocals for several numbers. She mixed up her setlist, adding rougher edges to her soft songs and sweetening up her louder ones. She even charmingly requested that the lights be dimmed to hide her embarassment while singing "one evening", all about a one-night stand.

I've been waiting to see Feist ever since she re-emerged from that tiny, Parisian apartment where Let it Die was conceived. This show was enthralling and inspiring.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Oh yeah, back to the two light thing: So alongside the full moon, Feist brought out a few sentinels of her own. She crept out and illuminated her first acapella, vocal-loops number with the light of a single lantern. It was just as mystical and mysterious as one could ask. She was later joined by her band who brandished sparklers. I love those things. Much later she was joined by other guests including Jason Collett, Andrew Whiteman of Apostle of Hustle and Kevin "Ryan Gosling" Drew.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

A truly fantastic show.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

This next pic is just for fun and immaturity. What is he doing?

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

No comments: