Pages

27 January 2008

no turning back

I spent Friday morning pacing around the apartment. I was waiting for a phone call that would decide whether or not I would have to clean the apartment.

At around 10 am, I got a call from a journalist at the CBC, asking for my address. They were coming to my place after all, and around noon. Son of an onion, I had to get cleaning fast.

A few days before, I had been contacted by some people at CBC Montreal, who were looking to do a feature on someone who was auditioning for How Do You Solve a Problem Like Maria, the cross-country casting call for the lead role in The Sound of Music (to open in Toronto in October). I'm never one to turn down a chance to do something unusual, so I agreed to be interviewed. Which brings me to Friday, when I was frantically trying to clean, get dressed, do my makeup, and warm up in case they asked me to sing.

Around 12:30 the journalist and cameraman arrived. They rearranged my furniture a bit to set up the shot, and then started the interview. She asked me all about why I am interested in this show, what I would do if I did or didn't get the part, and why the casting agents should choose me. I tend to squirm when asked to self-promote, and this time was no different. Fortunately they cut the parts where I talked about how my clumsiness and scatterbrained personality could help me relate to the part.

They also asked to interview Brian. He had been trying to remain inconspicuous, typing away in his room, but I dragged him out anyways. He was a great sport, although when I heard some of his answers, I had to stifle my laughter. For example, when asked what his relationship to the sound of music was, he told them "I've known it's existed for a long time."

Talking was the easiest part for me. It was when they asked me to play the guitar along to my singing that I cringed. I didn't even know some of the chords in the song. So I completely faked it. I just put my fingers in random places on the frets, and strummed softly enough that the mic wouldn't pick up the notes.

All in all, it was an interesting experience. Tomorrow, they will be coming with me to my audition. I am extremely nervous, and there is something up with my throat, but hopefully those things will pass by tomorrow. For better or for worse, there is no turning back now.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is so exciting, Dallas! I'm so proud of you!

Kick some ass tomorrow! :)

Anonymous said...

Whoops that was me :)

Chris in NF said...

Good luck! I like that they juxtaposed images of Julie Andrews in the film with you -- you've certainly got the right look for the role ... though hopefully they won't make you cut your hair in the same way.:-)