Pages

08 October 2008

because

Inspired by Shuck's odes to NYC, here are some reasons why I love my new neighbourhood:Because jolly (if slightly mafia-esque) older men drive up in SUVs and offer to join in my photoshoots without creeping me out.

Because the main street near me is lined with bakeries and in the morning it smells like a hundred breakfasts baking just for me. Because biking anywhere from here is downhill, and because no one has stolen my borrowed bike. Because everyone paints their doors different colours.

Because the weirdos up here seem less menacing than the ones downtown. Because I don't feel homesick as often here. Because the cupcake shop changed its window display to tombstone, ghost, and rotten apple themed cakes. Because people don't switch to English when they hear my accent.

Because the liquor store guy waited a full minute for me to rustle through my sleepover backpack of clothes to search for my wallet, and then smiled patiently when I found it in my jacket, despite a huge line behind me, and then said, "I understand Saturday nights and women."

4 comments:

Katie said...

that's a wonderful post - I want to live where you live!

Emmett Macfarlane said...

Great post. Dal, you know how awesome I think you are, but...

"Because jolly (if slightly mafia-esque) older men drive up in SUVs and offer to join in my photoshoots without creeping me out."

... I think you need to adjust your creep-out meter! ;)

Anonymous said...

Excellent! And what an awesome liquor store guy!

Unknown said...

That is a quote worthy of permanent ink !
I love it too . . .