Pages

01 February 2010

listening to: basia bulat - heart of my own

Photobucket

Though it was only an early cut, the song was already powerful enough to reach out and yank at my heartstrings. When I listened to the playback of "Gold Rush" during a photo shoot at Hotel 2 Tango in September 2008, I knew the finished product - and the album it would join - would be something special.

While taking pictures of the lovely Katie, I was able to a tiny part of the recording of Basia Bulat's latest album, Heart of My Own.

I had been intrigued by Basia's music for years, after hearing her distinctive voice in my Foundations in Singing class and as a host and frequently-played artist on CHRW during my time at Western. Her debut album, Oh, My Darling, was so fabulous and honest and strangely comforting that it constituted a large part of my new-to-Montreal, wandering-the-city-with-my-ipod-and-camera soundtrack.

After listening to her first effort so much, I'd grown accustomed to the softly gritty and wistful voice that lives on it. When I heard a much louder, more confident voice singing about a fool going north on Gold Rush, I was blown away by the vocal power she had developed in such a short time.

Heart of My Own features a stunning vocal performance by Basia, with evocative lyrics and melodies that slide right into your head and stay put. Equally impressive is the roster of musicians she's enlisted to infuse her well-crafted songs with virtuoso phrasing and complementary melodies. The musicians provide the scintillating sub-plots to her overarching narrative of adventure and independence.

Pick up a copy and listen for yourself, and watch this adorable video for a preview. For my fellow Montrealers, you can catch Basia's performance February 12th at L'Astral.

Basia Bulat - The Shore - A Take Away Show from La Blogotheque on Vimeo.

3 comments:

Katie said...

Dallas, I'm so glad you enjoy the album! The day of the shoot was a special one, for so many reasons. It is nice to look at those photos again, and I love that on your professional site you call one "fiance cuddling" because Eric and I are engaged! Hope you're well,
Katie

Unknown said...

Katie, oh my god! That's fantastic!

Cheap Cosmetics said...

I had been intrigued by Basia's music for years, after hearing her distinctive voice in my Foundations in Singing class and as a host and frequently-played artist on CHRW during my time at Western. Her debut album, Oh, My Darling, was so fabulous and honest and strangely comforting that it constituted a large part of my new-to-Montreal, wandering-the-city-with-my-ipod-and-camera soundtrack.