Pages

30 January 2011

365 project: january

January is just about over - can you believe it? If, like me, you've spent most of the month hibernating indoors, you too might be surprised by how quickly the days have flown by. Well, with only about 8.5 hours of sunlight, they are pretty short days.

The most surprising part of my 365 project has been the photo diary aspect of the process. Since I didn't have any planned shoots this month, my photos were really just documents of what I was up to each day. I found myself feeling oddly exposed by this, as if anyone who viewed my photos would see how banal my life can be.

For the most part, the photos I post or am tagged in are a carefully chosen and edited collection of curated moments, the ones that we and our friends deem as moments worth preserving and sharing.

The quietest moments, the most humdrum days, the coldest nights: they are the things we seldom photograph. We keep them tucked away to gather dust in our memories, as the fleeting posed moments shine brightly in our digital albums.

Even though it makes me feel uneasy to share myself through daily photos in this way, I'm planning to stick to it for two reasons:

1. I want to force myself to practice my craft with discipline. I want to push myself to be uncomfortable as I struggle to find different subjects and different ways of seeing. I want to grow to be a better photographer with a more versatile style, and nothing makes you grow like discomfort.

2. This is going to be a busy year and, especially in the final months leading up to our wedding, I don't want to forget a single day.

1 comment:

Alex said...

This post is beautiful for so many reasons. Firstly - the photos - I love them. Secondly - the words.
"Nothing makes you grow like discomfort."
I honestly believe down to my core that this is SO true and I have been trying to live my 2011 by challenging to do things that scare me, things that take me out of my comfort zone. It has attributed to every aspect of my life - my confidence, my photography, my relationships, my growth as a person, as an artist, as a business woman. You are definitely on to something with that.

Also, loving the fact that your photos act as a sort of photo diary. And loving the fact that you are "exposing" yourself. There's something beautiful and freeing about it, although scary at the same time. I don't know why.

Anyways, have a wonderful week and keep up the awesome work!
xxx