Pages

25 June 2006

fresh air

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
saskatchewan

I spent the last 6 days or so with my family, out west in Alberta. The air is cleaner (and thinner; it's damn high!) and the foliage is evergreener, and it was peaceful.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Banff from above

We went to visit Jonathan, who works at the Banff Springs Hotel golf course, and we stayed at the hotel of the same name. He's found a wicked job out there. The staff quarters are teeming with like-aged students, and the town itself is full of an amiable, young crowd.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Bow river near Banff Springs

The itinerary or lack thereof was pretty loose. We did a lot of hiking, exploring etc. You really can't beat the scenery.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Cascade Pond

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Jonathan and Karlie, the hosts

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
cute ground squirrel

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
trail ride horses

My mom and I went for a trail ride around the hotel area, and I borrowed Karlie's authentic cowboy hat for the occasion. The stable staff seemed impressed, and even took me for a real rider until they saw my awkwardly white running shoes and far awkwarder mount onto the horse.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Aussie and I

And yes, everyone's favourite aus-canadian is working out in the area too, at Lake Louise. We met up for dinner, some exploring, and the embarassing experience of me being rejected from 2 bars because I clearly didn't pass for even 18, even though my parents vouched for me.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
redwood

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
the original hot springs

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
tree swinging. jonathan. he's more scared than he looks.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
jer

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Waterton lakes

Now this place, I would definitely recommend. Far less touristy than Banff (the full-time population is about 50), and with even lovlier scenery. It's also called "The Trail of the Great Bear," i.e. hosts the largest Grizzly population in North America. (gulp). We saw a young black bear, who was actually blondish brown, and very cute. We also saw moose, mountain sheep, mule deer, bison and the ubiquitous ground squirrels.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
trees grown in the wind

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Red Rock Canyon

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
This photo was actually taken in Goat Haunt, Montana, where we visited on an international boat tour. The "border" was a bare strip of land cut into the forest and continuing up the mountains on both sides of the lake. Who knew?

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Bison in their natural habitat

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

In Waterton, I was lucky enough to meet up with a girl I'd met in Quebec, Anne. She just happened to be working at one of the two restaurants in town, and she kindly showed me around the area. We ended up sitting on a cliff edge and watching the sky darken. It's interesting when you can talk freely with someone you've known only for a brief time. I like when that happens. We talked about everything we want to do, haven't done, have forgotten to do, are not doing. Talked in circles but maybe that's how you get somewhere (?)

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You really are an amazing photographer! the place looks beautiful <3

gillian said...

beautiful pictures dal! your photography skills never sease to amaze me!

I hope the euro prep is coming along well!
miss you!

cheers

Anonymous said...

These are SO nice! I love all of them, and especially the shots of the redwood in the water, Red Rock Canyon, and that last panorama. What a spectacular view. (What do you shoot with?)

I'll be following your exploits religiously this summer. I have to live vicariously ever since I cancelled my plans to NY :P